The Coastal Plain League 2007 All-Star Fan Fest and All-Star Game was hosted by the Columbia Blowfish on July 16th and 17th at Capital City Stadium in Columbia, S.C.
The two-day event featured a Fan Fest on the night before the All-Star Game, highlighted by a All-Star Home Run Derby. The league’s annual All-Star luncheon and All-Star Game took place the following day. There were several opportunities for fans to interact with the All-Stars during the event.
How Players Are Selected:
The 2007 Coastal Plain League All-Star Teams will be voted upon by each of the 15 head coaches and one media representative for each club. Possible All-Star candidates will be listed by position on their respective divisional (North, South, West) ballot, of which the coaches and media will vote from. Head coaches will not be allowed to vote for their own players, while Media reps will. The votes will be tallied and the 48 All-Stars will be known.
Then, the two All-Star head coaches will take part in a draft to see which team (National or American) each All-Star player will end up on. The All-Star head coach with the highest winning percentage in the first half of the regular season will pick first and via a teleconference with the League office, the two coaches will go back and forth filling their rosters until the last player is taken.
How Coaches Are Selected:
The 2007 Coastal Plain League All-Star Coaches will be determined based on First-Half Champions and overall winning percentage in the first half. The two All-Star head coaches will be the two coaches with the best overall winning percentage in the first half and who also won their respective division’s First-Half championship. The remaining coach from the other divisional First-Half championship team will be an assistant for one of the two All-Star teams based on geographics.
Out of the remaining coaches, the one with the next best overall winning percentage in the first half will be the other assistant coach. Also, the head coach of the host team (this year it’s Columbia) will serve as an assistant for the All-Star team that fits with his geographics should that coach not be one of the above-mentioned coaches.
2007 Home Run Derby Rules:
- Three Rounds, Eight (8) outs per round
- Eight (8) Hitters per All-Star Team
- Either a Home Run or it’s an Out
- Can use aluminum bats for two (2) outs per round
- Home runs with wood = 3 points
- Home runs with aluminum = 1 point
Round 1: Eight (8) hitters from the National and Eight (8) from the American
- Top three (3) hitters from both clubs advance to next round
Round 2: Three (3) hitters from the National and Three (3) from the American
- Top one (1) hitter from both clubs advances to final round
Round 3 (Championship Round): Top hitters from the National and American teams
- Hitter with the most total points in round three from all three rounds combined is crowned Champion
National All-Star Participants:
1) Richard Jones, Thomasville
2) Rob Lyerly, Asheboro
3) Rich Poythress, Thomasville
4) Kevin Mattison, Edenton
5) Chris Swauger, Thomasville
6) *Eddie Van Es, Peninsula
7) Kyle Bowley, Spartanburg
8) Kyle Roller, Thomasville
*Ryan Bohanon of Outer Banks was replaced by Van Es due to an injury
American All-Star Participants:
1) Christian Rosa, Florence
2) Frank Pesanello, Petersburg
3) Stephen Batts, Wilmington
4) Jason Morales, Fayetteville
5) Mike Lyon, Petersburg
6) Jerry Sands, Wilson
7) Tim Alberts, Spartanburg
8) Justin Greene, Columbia
Key Dates and Releases:
- CPL All-Star Coaches Announced: Tuesday, July 10th at 1 p.m.
2007 CPL All-Star Coaches Announced press release
- National CPL All-Star Team Announced: Wednesday, July 11th at 11 a.m.
2007 National CPL All-Star Team Announced press release
- American CPL All-Star Team Announced: Thursday, July 12th at 11 a.m.
2007 American CPL All-Star Team Announced press release
- Brandon White Replaces Matt Gianini On American All-Star Team release
- All-Star Umpires Announced: Friday, July 13th at 11 a.m.
2007 CPL All-Star Umpires Announced press release
Fan Fest - Monday, July 16th:
- Gates Open at 5:30 p.m.
- Media Hot Dog Eating Contest at 7:00 p.m.
- Media Home Run Derby at 7:15 p.m.
- Home Run Derby at 7:45 p.m.
- Award Ceremony following the Home Run Derby
- All-Star Fireworks Show after the Award Ceremony
All-Star Game - Tuesday, July 17th:
- Gates Open at 6:00 p.m.
- National Anthem at 7:02 p.m.
- First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
- Award Ceremony after the game