The Coastal Plain League 2008 All-Star Fan Fest and All-Star Game was hosted by the Asheboro Copperheads on July 21st and 22nd at McCrary Park in Asheboro, N.C.
The two-day event featured a Fan Fest on the night before the All-Star Game, highlighted by a All-Star Home Run Derby. The league’s annual All-Star luncheon and All-Star Game took place the following day. There was several opportunities for fans to interact with the All-Stars during the event.
How Players Are Selected:
The 2008 Coastal Plain League All-Star Teams will be voted upon by each of the 14 head coaches and one media representative for each club. Possible All-Star candidates will be listed by position on their respective divisional (North, South, West) ballot, of which the coaches and media will vote from. Head coaches will not be allowed to vote for their own players, while Media reps will. The votes will be tallied and the 48 All-Stars will be known.
Then, the two All-Star head coaches will take part in a draft to see which team (National or American) each All-Star player will end up on. The All-Star head coach with the highest winning percentage in the first half of the regular season will pick first and via a teleconference with the League office, the two coaches will go back and forth filling their rosters until the last player is taken.
How Coaches Are Selected:
The 2008 Coastal Plain League All-Star Coaches will be determined based on First-Half Champions and overall winning percentage in the first half. The two All-Star head coaches will be the two coaches with the best overall winning percentage in the first half and who also won their respective division’s First-Half championship. The remaining coach from the other divisional First-Half championship team will be an assistant for one of the two All-Star teams based on geographics.
Out of the remaining coaches, the one with the next best overall winning percentage in the first half will be the other assistant coach. Finally, the remaining head coaches from the remaining CPL clubs not represented yet will all serve as an assistant for one of the two All-Star teams.
- Adult two-day pass: $12
- Adult one-day pass: $7
- Children (10 and under) two-day pass: $8
- Children (10 and under) one-day pass: $5
2008 Home Run Derby Rules:
- Three Rounds, Eight (8) outs per round (round 1&2) / Ten (10) outs (round 3)
- Eight (8) Hitters per All-Star Team
- Either a Home Run or it’s an Out
- Can use aluminum bats for two (2) outs per round
- Home runs with wood = 3 points
- Home runs with aluminum = 1 point
- Points from every round rollover to the next round.
Round 1: Eight (8) hitters from the National and Eight (8) from the American
- Top three (3) hitters from both clubs advance to next round
Round 2: Three (3) hitters from the National and Three (3) from the American
- Top two (2) hitters, regardless of All-Star team, advance to final round
Round 3: (Championship Round): Top two hitters in derby thus far
- Hitter with the most total points after round three (points from rounds 1-3 combined) is crowned Champion
National All-Star Participants:
1) Bobby Leeper (Wilmington Sharks and UNC-Wilmington)
2) Sonny Meade (Thomasville HiToms and The Citadel)
3) Doug Kroll (Edenton Steamers and Oklahoma State)
4) Parker Bangs (Fayetteville SwampDogs and South Carolina)
5) Greyson Schram (Petersburg Generals and Concord)
6) Jordan Petraitis (Forest City Owls and Miami of Ohio)
7) C.J. Beatty (Thomasville HiToms and North Carolina A&T)
8) Kevin Mailloux (Forest City Owls and Canisius)
American All-Star Participants:
1) Oliver Santos (Columbia Blowfish and USC-Salkehatchie)
2) Eddie Van Es (Peninsula Pilots and Tennessee Wesleyan)
3) Jamie Walczak (Florence RedWolves and Mercyhurst)
4) Barrett Kleinknect (Florence RedWolves and Francis Marion)
5) Chris McGuinness (Thomasville HiToms and The Citadel)
6) Anthony Gallas (Peninsula Pilots and Kent State)
7) Kevin Mahoney (Forest City Owls and Canisius)
8) Daniel Wagner (Asheboro Copperheads and Belmont)
Key Dates and Releases:
- CPL All-Star Coaches Announced: Tuesday, July 15th at 11 a.m.
2008 CPL All-Star Coaches Announced press release
- National CPL All-Star Team Announced: Wednesday, July 16th at 11 a.m.
2008 National CPL All-Star Team Announced press release
- Florence’s Altman to Replace Thomasville’s Park on National Team press release
- American CPL All-Star Team Announced: Thursday, July 17th at 11 a.m.
2008 American CPL All-Star Team Announced press release
- Wilmington’s Epley to Replace Thomasville’s Forsythe on American Team press release
- All-Star Umpires Announced: Friday, July 18th at 11 a.m.
2008 CPL All-Star Umpires Announced press release
Fan Fest - Monday, July 21st:
- Gates open at 5:30 p.m.
- Team workouts and autograph sessions
- Home Run Derby
All-Star Game - Tuesday, July 22nd:
- First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
- Award Ceremony after the game