Updated July 08 2014
The Coastal Plain League announced the 2014 CPL All-Star Game Home Run Derby participants today set for July 13 in Morehead City, N.C.
The derby will consist of four hitters on each of the East and West CPL All-Star teams and will have three rounds of competition.
Representing the West squad is CPL home run leader Hunter Bryant of Forest City (6), followed by Austin Bossart of Asheboro (3), Chase Shelton of Columbia (3) and Allen Station of Columbia (3). For the East, Johnny Caputo of the host’s Morehead City starts off the list with four home runs along with Edenton’s Orlando Olivera who also has four. They are joined by two Peninsula Pilots, Alex Close (3) and Taylor Ostrich (1).
Please see below for a complete list of the rules and participants:
2014 All-Star Home Run Derby Rules:
- Four (4) East All-Star participants & four (4) West All-Star participants
- Three (3) Rounds:
- First Round – 8 outs
- Second Round – 8 outs
- Championship Round – 10 outs
- Either a Home Run or it’s an Out
- Wood bats used only
- Home Runs from Round 1 roll over to Round 2
- Championship Round – both hitters start over at zero (0)
Round 1: Four (4) hitters from East and four (4) hitters from West
- Top two (2) hitters from East and top two (2) hitters from West advance
Round 2: Two (2) hitters from East and two (2) hitters from West
- Top hitter from East and top hitter from West advance
Championship Round: Top East hitter vs. Top West hitter
- Hitters start from zero with hitter who has highest number of home runs hit being crowned the 2014 CPL All-Star Home Run Derby Champion
West All-Star Participants:
1) Hunter Bryant (UNC Asheville / Forest City)
2) Austin Bossart (Pennsylvania / Asheboro)
3) Chase Shelton (Charleston Southern / Columbia)
4) Allen Staton (North Greenville / Columbia)
East All-Star Participants:
1) Johnny Caputo (Stony Brook / Morehead City)
2) Orlando Olivera (Missouri Baptist / Edenton)
3) Alex Close (Liberty / Peninsula)
4) Taylor Ostrich (Old Dominion / Peninsula)
About the Coastal Plain League:
The Coastal Plain League is the nation’s hottest summer collegiate baseball league. Celebrating its 18th season in 2014, the CPL features 14 teams playing in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The CPL gives college players the chance to refine their skills with the use of wooden bats. Players are housed with local host families for the summer and past experiences have been very positive for both players and hosts. Further more, the CPL has had over 1,200 alumni drafted and 70 alums – including 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young winner Justin Verlander – make their Major League debut thus far; while another notable alum – Russell Wilson – won Super Bowl XLVIII. For more information on the Coastal Plain League, please visit the league website at CoastalPlain.com, and be sure to friend us on Facebook (at www.facebook.com/coastalplainleague) and follow us via Twitter (as CPLBaseball).