Rawlings Offensive Player of the 2005 Coastal Plain League Petitt Cup Tournament:
Ryan Khoury (Utah) Edenton Steamers
Based on overall statistics for the entire tournament, Edenton’s Ryan Khoury was named the Rawlings Offensive Player of the CPL Petitt Cup Tournament. Khoury finished with a .417 average thru four starts, connecting on five hits from 12 at-bats. He had one double and two RBIs on the weekend.
Rawlings Defensive Player of the 2005 Coastal Plain League Petitt Cup Tournament:
Ryan Brandt (Methodist) Fayetteville SwampDogs
Based on overall statistics for the entire tournament, Fayetteville’s Ryan Brandt was named the Rawlings Defensive Player of the CPL Petitt Cup Tournament. Brandt pitched eight complete shutout innings against Wilson on Friday to help the SwampDogs advance. In that time, he allowed only five hits, walked none and struck out a very impressive 11 opposing batters.
- The Seeds for the 2005 Coastal Plain League Petitt Cup Tournament will be according to overall winning percentage for the entire season. Of the eight teams that make the Tournament, the team with the best overall winning percentage will be the No. 1 seed, the team with the second-best overall winning percentage will be the No. 2 seed, and so forth. If the second half champion of a particular division is the same team as the first half champion, then the playoff berth will be awarded to the team with the second-best winning percentage for the entire season (despite division).
- Two of the eight teams that get in will be at-large entries determined by the two highest overall winning percentages of teams not yet securing a playoff spot. Should the host club not clinch a playoff spot, then as the host team they will be enter into the tourmament as one of the at-large teams.
- For the first time ever, there will be a playoff game held on Thursday, August 11th to determine the No. 7 seed in the Petitt Cup Tournament. That game will be between the Florence RedWolves and Wilson Tobs. The RedWolves are in regardless. Should Wilson win the playoff game, then they will be the No. 7 seed. Should Wilson lose, then Wilmington will be the No. 7 seed. *UPDATE* Wilson won the playoff game, 3-1 over Florence, thus clinching the South Division Second Half Championship.
This is the final CPL playoff picture:
|2005 CPL Playoff Picture|
- Edenton, Fayetteville, and Thomasville have clinched a berth into the Petitt Cup as First Half Champions.
- Wilson and Gastonia have clinched a berth into the Petitt Cup as Second Half Champions.
- Spartanburg, Florence, and Petersburg have clinched a berth into the Petitt Cup as at-large teams.
- Asheboro, Martinsville, New Bern, Outer Banks, Peninsula and Wilmington have been eliminated from the 2005 CPL Petitt Cup Tournament.