Division Semifinals – August 8 (Tue.) / Single-Elimination Round
East Semifinal 1 – #4 Edenton at #1 Peninsula
|#4 Edenton 6, #1 Peninsula 5||Box Score & Plays|
|Edenton advances to East Division Championship|
East Semifinal 2 – #3 Wilmington at #2 Fayetteville
|#3 Wilmington 13, #2 Fayetteville 0||Box Score & Plays|
|Wilmington advances to East Division Championship|
West Semifinal 1 – #4 Gastonia at #1 Forest City
|#4 Gastonia 11, #1 Forest City 4||Box Score & Plays|
|Gastonia advances to West Division Championship|
West Semifinal 2 – #3 HP-Thomasville vs. #2 Savannah
|#2 Savannah 9, #3 HPThomasville 3||Box Score & Plays|
|Savannah advances to West Division Championship|
Divisional Championships – August 10-12 (Thu.-Sat.) / Best 2-of-3 Series
East Division Championship – #4 Edenton vs. #3 Wilmington
|1||Wilmington 14, Edenton 7||Box Score & Plays|
|2||Wilmington 4, Edenton 2 (9 Innings)||Box Score & Plays|
|Wilmington advances to Petitt Cup Championship|
CPL Petitt Cup Championship Round – August 14-16 (Mon.-Wed.) / Best 2-of-3 Series
2017 CPL Petitt Cup Playoffs Picture
|East 1||Peninsula Pilots||Team Playoff Statistics|
|East 2||Fayetteville SwampDogs||Team Playoff Statistics|
|East 3||Wilmington Sharks||Team Playoff Statistics|
|East 4||Edenton Steamers||Team Playoff Statistics|
|West 1||Forest City Owls||Team Playoff Statistics|
|West 2||Savannah Bananas||Team Playoff Statistics|
|West 3||Hight Point-Thomasville HiToms||Team Playoff Statistics|
|West 4||Gastonia Grizzlies||Team Playoff Statistics|
How the Playoffs will work:
The 2017 Coastal Plain League regular season shall be followed by the Petitt Cup Playoffs. The top four (4) teams in each division (East and West) will qualify. If a team wins the first half or second half in their respective division, then they will automatically qualify for the playoffs. The remaining spots for each division will go to the teams with the highest overall winning percentage at the end of the regular season within each division.
Per each division, the four teams will be seeded 1-4 based on overall winning percentage on the regular season. There will be one Division Game (round 1) in both the East and West divisions. In those games, seed 1 will play seed 4, while seed 2 will play seed 3 in a single-elimination contest.
The winners in each of the Division Games (round 1) will advance to the Division Championship Games (round 2), and play in a best two-of-three series. Finally, the East champion and the West champion will meet for the Petitt Cup Championship (round 3), which is also a best two-of-three series.
For rounds 1 & 2, the higher seeds (i.e. 1/2 ) will host the single-elimination games. In the Championship Series, the lower seed (i.e. West #3 vs. East #1) will host game 1 of the series; while the higher seed (i.e. East #1 vs. West #3) will have home field advantage (games 2 and 3 if necessary). If the two teams are the same seed (i.e. East #1 vs. West #1), then we will look at highest regular season winning percentage as the first tiebreaker to see who will have home field advantage. If another tiebreaker is needed then we will go to regular season head-to-head and so on. The team winning two games in the Championship Series (best two-of-three) will be crowned the 2017 Coastal Plain League Petitt Cup Champions.
– Playoff spots will be confined to your respective division. Thus, if a team finishes fifth in their respective division, they will not qualify for the playoffs, regardless of whether or not their overall winning percentage is higher than one of the top four teams in the other division.
– If a team wins their division’s first or second half championship, then they are automatically in the playoffs. What seed (1-4) they will have depends on their overall winning percentage compared to the other teams in their division that qualify for the postseason.
*Tickets will be for sale by the host teams.
For ticket information, please contact each host team. Host teams will be announced as soon as they are known.
This is the final 2017 CPL playoff picture:
- Fayetteville has clinched a berth into the 2017 Petitt Cup Playoffs as First Half East Division Champions.
- Forest City has clinched a berth into the 2017 Petitt Cup Playoffs as First Half West Division Champions.
- Wilmington has clinched a berth into the 2017 Petitt Cup Playoffs as Second Half East Division Champions.
- Edenton, Gastonia, High Point-Thomasville, Peninsula, and Savannah have clinched a berth into the 2017 Petitt Cup Playoffs as at-large teams.
- Asheboro, Florence, Holly Springs, Lexington County, Martinsville, Morehead City, and Wilson have been eliminated from playoff contention.