The Coastal Plain League 2013 All-Star Fan Fest and All-Star Game was hosted by the Peninsula Pilots on July 7-8 at War Memorial Stadium in Hampton, Va.
The two-day event featured a Fan Fest on the night before the All-Star Game, highlighted by the league’s first-ever All-Star Hitting Challenge. Then, the league’s annual All-Star luncheon, major league scout day, and All-Star Game will take place the following day.
2013 West Division CPL All-Star Team Roster.pdf
2013 East Division CPL All-Star Team Roster.pdf
2013 All-Star Hitting Challenge Rules:
New for 2013 was the All-Star Hitting Challenge. The challenge featured six (6) hitters from each All-Star team based on statistics and votes. Each hitter had 10 swings per round.
During the challenge, hitters swing for the fences or for unique targets located throughout the field. If a player connects on a home run, they will receive a preset amount of points, while any hit on a particular target in the field will also result in a preset amount of points (ranging from low to high). Additionally, there will also be obstacles that hitters will want to avoid hitting – which if they do make contact, will result in the loss of points. A complete list of targets and obstacles will be coming soon.
At the end of the first round, the top three (3) hitters from each All-Star team with the most points from that round will advance to round 2. Points will carry over from round to round. After round 2, the top two hitters based on overall points – one from the East and one from the West – will advance to the championship round. Finally, the winner of the CPL All-Star Hitting Challenge will be the hitter with the most points after all three rounds.
West All-Star Participants:
1) Luke Tendler (North Carolina A&T / Asheboro Copperheads)
2) Zachary Bellinger (College of Saint Rose / Florence RedWolves)
3) Matt Reistetter (Hofstra / Asheboro Copperheads)
4) Allen Staton (North Greenville / Columbia Blowfish)
5) Kyle Brandenburg (High Point / High Point-Thomasville HiToms)
6) Ty Barkell (USC-Aiken / Forest City Owls)
East All-Star Participants:
1) Josh Hampton (Wilmington University / Edenton Steamers)
2) Ryan Cranmer (Newberry College / Morehead City Marlins)
3) Nick Thompson (East Carolina / Edenton Steamers)
4) Adam Kirsch (Texas Tech / Edenton Steamers)
5) Jordan Negrini (Old Dominion / Peninsula Pilots)
6) Ridge Gonsoulin (LSU-Shreveport / Wilson Tobs)
All-Star Hitting Challenge Champion: Adam Kirsch (Texas Tech / Edenton Steamers)
2013 CPL All-Star Releases:
Fan Fest – Sunday, July 7:
– Gates open – 5:30 p.m.
– Team workouts and autograph sessions
– CPL All-Star Hitting Challenge – 7:00 p.m.
All-Star Game – Monday, July 8:
– Gates open – 5:30 p.m.
– First pitch – 7:05 p.m.
– Award Ceremony after the game